Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Oscar noms and some other business

It's always depressing when one of your two comments end up being spam. And that, three posts in, they judge it to be "inquisitive" is a little frightening.

Katie, I will definitely write back. I always meant to write you. Then I got lazy. But it's up to you to start it now. I believe in you. Godspeed.

Hey, Oscar nominations were announced today (linked in the title). "Brokeback" picked up eight, "Good Night and Good Luck" and "Crash" picked up six, and "Capote," "Memoirs of a Geisha" (which I don't think anyone saw), "Munich" (balls yes), and "Walk the Line" (though not for Best Picture, strangely) picked up five. Assorted thoughts to follow...

This is the best line-up of leading actors I've seen since probably '02, but Hoffman had better as crap win. It's not even his best work to date, but he deserves it.

The only movie in the Actress in a Leading Role category I saw was "Walk the Line." Go Reese?

Maria Bello should've been nominated for "A History of Violence." Viggo should've as well, but like I said, the lead actor category is pretty damn good. But when they're shuffling in Judi Dench and Charlize Theron, there's definitely some room for Bello.

"Crash" got too many nominations. It's a fine little movie, and I can deal with Matt Dillon's acting nomination (though they should've given it to Terrence Howard, especially 'cause he'd have a nom in each actor category). But screenplay? No. It has no story or characters, only a message it attempts to convey and people to spout it. I'm okay with it being up for Best Picture because it was a huge audience favorite...but if that sucker wins over "Brokeback," "Good Night and Good Luck," and "Munich," t'will be a dark day. As for editing, I don't know much about how they pick that, but that had some of the worst pacing of the year. Did you know it all took place in one night? I didn't. But apparently it did.

And Paul Haggis over Peter Jackson, David Cronenberg ("A History of Violence"), Terrence Malick ("The New World"), Ron Howard, Woody Allen, and Fernando Meirelles ("The Constant Gardener")? No, that's not right.

Wow, they didn't have to resort to nominating "Madagascar" for animated film. Life is good. I wish I saw "Wallace and Gromit," but I'll still be pulling for them in support of my childhood.

"Batman Begins" got a cinematography nom! I can't prove it, but that might be the first time a superhero film got nominated for something other than visual effects or sound. That said, "The New World" better win 'cause it got shafted everywhere else (notably, I would've loved noms for Q'Orianka Kilcher, Christian Bale, and Terrence Malick's direction).

The director nominations are the same as the best picture for the first time I can remember. There's usually one that's different. Go Spielberg.

I wish I saw "Murderball."

The song "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from "Hustle & Flow" got nominated. I never saw the movie, but that kicks ass.

I still don't know the difference between sound mixing and sound editing. I probably never will.

How did "Narnia" get nominated for visual effects, but not "Star Wars" or "Sin City"? That said, none of those three deserve it over "War of the Worlds," but if "Kong" wins that's cool by me.

That said, I humbly admit that "Narnia" deserves the makeup award. That WETA (the LOTR and Kong folks) did it makes that easier to say.

"Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" should have been nominated in and won both screenplay awards, because that's how much ass it kicks.

I hope "Good Night and Good Luck" wins best original screenplay, and it should, but I'd be fine if "Match Point" or "The Squid and the Whale" won. Really, as long as it's not "Crash." Adapted goes to "A History of Violence." Right now.

As for best pic, I'm pulling for "Munich" (I hope it takes this or Spielberg for director...ideally both) but if "Good Night and Good Luck" wins it'll be a great day in cinematic history. Still, it's the year for "Brokeback," but at least that's deserved. It's a damn fine film, it was the most picked on critics' top 10 lists, and audiences loved it.

Gotta say though, aside from maybe "Star Wars" for visual effects and DEFINITELY Maria Bello for Lead Actress in "A History of Violence" and putting aside my own personal squabbles (basically that "The New World" deserved better), there really aren't any glaring omissions. Solid noms.

2 Comments:

At 1/31/2006 5:22 PM, Blogger pony said...

i get the same stupid inquisitive comments, which bother me most of all because the usage is so wrong.
Sound editing: cutting and placing dialogue or sound effects along with the picture.
Sound mixing: putting the music, effects, dialogue and everything at the final levels to make sure that everything is in proportion to each other. Or not, depending on how you want it sound.
Not sure if you really wanted to know, but i thought i'd just tell you anyway.
Feel free to take a look at my blog, i only get comments from "inquisitive"s or my sister.
:(
http://ynop.blogspot.com/

 
At 2/02/2006 1:03 AM, Blogger b said...

yeah, that was a good post. reading a scott nye post is like smoking a fine cigar. I'd imagine. still haven't smoked. but I did drink a gallon of gas yesterday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home