Monday, January 01, 2007

Headphones and Movies

I got these new headphones for Christmas that are like...well, I was going to say they're like crack. But I guess the music would be the crack. So I guess if there was some magical new way to snort crack (or smoke it or whatever the kids do) that makes the crack into some insane new drug, these headphones would be it. Not only do they have amazing range and tremendous bass, but they have these switches on each ear that toggle between "Open" and "Closed." Apparently, "Closed" shuts out much outside noise, while "Open" lets it in. So far, I'm unable to tell the difference, because in spite of whatever setting it's on, I can hardly hear a damn thing besides the music. And it's not even up that loud (I'm toggling between four and five notches out of Mac's total sixteen). I've been listening to the Marie Antoinette soundtrack for days now, which has seemingly been given new life with these headphones.

That's really it. Happy New Year. I won't have my Top 10 movies ready until the end of the month, 'cause studios have this annoying habit of releasing movies in New York and LA only in December, and expanding them across the country in January. So technically, 2006 releases don't finish up until 1/12 of the way into 2007. It's pretty lame. But I got bored and came up with a set of moments, images, and words from the movies I have seen that'll stay with me. Oh, nostalgia for stuff that isn't really the past.

“You know the guy who can pick up any girl? I’m him. On crack.” (Thank You For Smoking)

Brendan seeing Laura in that red dress at her Halloween party. (Brick)

The passenger uprising (United 93)

“We put an explosive charge in your head” (Mission: Impossible III)

“There is no tragedy in the death of an old man. Forgive him his shortcomings and thank him for all his love and care.” (A Prairie Home Companion)

Jack Black and Hector Jimenez fighting the midgets wearing animal masks (Nacho Libre)

The big revenge moment (Sympathy For Lady Vengeance)

The plane rescue (Superman Returns)

The dance scene; "Porch Monkey 4 Life" (Clerks II)

“A bed or a penis?” (My Super Ex-Girlfriend)

Pushing the van (Little Miss Sunshine)

“I want these mothafucking snakes off this mothafucking plane!” (Snakes on a Plane)

The sex scene (Crank)

Jack Nicholson coming out of a room covered in blood, though we never find out why (The Departed)

The moment when it all comes together (The Prestige)

Marie lounging back and eating cake while Gang of Four’s “Natural’s Not In It” blares over the sound system (Marie Antoinette)

“Don’t worry…we’re almost there” (The Fountain)

The time-travel car chase (Deja Vu)

The almost faceless pale man sitting at the end of a banquet table, a pile of children’s shoes in the corner (Pan's Labyrinth)

“He’s a bootmaker for the king. But I suppose we all are. Bootmakers for kings.” (The Good Shepherd)

Rocky’s tearful speech to Paulie about coming back (Rocky Balboa)

Effie singing “And I’m Telling You It’s Not Over” (Dreamgirls)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home