Friday, February 03, 2006

Crazy times, ladies and gents

First off, Jim Emerson, the editor at RogerEbert.com, keeps a blog running over there and wrote a fantastic piece about everyone trying to interpret the Oscar nominations, largely in that they're supposedly "message movies." Check it out here

What else...bought High Fidelity yesterday (which sports the best critic quote on the cover - "Hits All the Laugh Bases!") after making the twenty-to-thirty minute walk to Newbury Comics, the best store ever (they sell movies, music, and COMIC BOOKS...screw you Best Buy). It was surprisingly nice outside, given that it had snowed just a few days prior (now it's raining like hell...joy). For those of you who somehow remember such things (my dad did, and he never goes in the basement), the copy of High Fidelity on the shelf was my brother's.

I read an article in the Berkley Beacon (our newspaper whose name seems to have no correlation to the school at all) about blogging, and how it's mostly a lot of teenagers complaining about their girlfriend or boyfriend or roommate or parents or school or whatever. He's pretty much right, I suppose, and it makes me even more self-concious about what I write here. I was never crazy about the long angsty posts (or the really short ones that simply ask deep, life-affirming questions), or even the "guess what I did today" posts. Unless something really amazing happened. Like a squirrel war. That'd be sweet.

That said, I came in last night and the roommates were havin' a li'l of the ol' drinky-drinky with some folks. And let me tell you, as someone who almost never touches the stuff, it's a joy to be suddenly hit with that smell and realize that your room will now be useless to you for the next few hours. But hey, there's almost no bad mood a DiGiorno's Pizza won't cure. Lesson to the kids.

Chris is coming in...what, two weeks?...with Stu in tow (old friend of his, and after many a vacation subsequently mine, from the public school days). I have no idea what we're going to do, but it will certainly involve the new Harrison Ford movie and Fire + Ice (the best they-cook-it-right-in-front-of-you restaurant known to man).

Have I yet mentioned that I'm pretty sure, save for a day or two overlap, I don't have the same spring break as anyone from the class of '05? Which leaves me the option of complete boredom or some sort of life discovery. One can only pray for the latter.

Elizabethtown hits DVD on Tuesday, along with the second soundtrack CD. Goodbye, money. Funny part is I told myself that's the only flick I'll buy in February. And there's High Fidelity, mere inches away.

Really hungry right now. Time for morning (I just woke up, okay?) hamburger at the Diner. Mmm...mmm...good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home