Tuesday, August 14, 2007

THIS WEEKEND...AT THE NW FILM CENTER!

First, Ben, props for the explanation on indie music (see comments on previous post).

Now then...onto this weekend. I know I didn't do this last weekend, but it's only because I kinda suck. Also, I figured out by then that I probably wasn't going to make it to any of them. But this weekend is jam-packed excitement and glory.

Friday, August 17th [7:00 PM]
FULL METAL JACKET
Will Scott Go: NO!
The Skinny: Because look what’s happening tomorrow…

Saturday, August 18th [7:00 PM]
THE SHINING and FULL METAL JACKET
Will Scott Go: Once again, since God didn't kill me before catching 2001, he’ll have to kill me now to keep me away.
The Skinny: THE SHINING! FULL METAL JACKET! JACK NICHOLSON! FRIGHT! WAR!* CREEPY TWINS! VIETNAMESE PROSTITUTES! FOUR AND A HALF HOURS OF SOME OF THE BEST CINEMA IN HISTORY, ALL FOR A MERE $8! What the hell more do you want? The Coach from Saving Silverman yelling at recruits for the first half? A ghost bear engaging in sexual activity? (no, really, it happens towards the end of the The Shining). Good, ‘cause it’s chock full of that too!

Sunday, August 19th [7:00 PM]
BARRY LYNDON
Will Scott Go: Jesus God yes.
The Skinny: Coming down off the relentless adrenaline and edge-of-your-seat suspense of THE SHINING and FULL METAL JACKET, comes one of the slowest-paced movies I’ve ever seen! But Dear God is it brilliant. Top 5 of all time brilliant (maybe, I’ve only seen it once, but it holds its own with the best of them). Might be my favorite of all of Kubrick’s movies, I dunno. But it’s soooo frickin’ good.

*The first time I typed that I wrote "TERROR! WAR!" Then I realized that'd just give the wrong impression.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home