Friday, August 24, 2007

Top 5 Movies to Watch For This Fall

This is going to be a very, very busy fall. I'd try to count how many films I have on my schedule right now, but the fact is that schedule is expanding every week as new trailers, posters, even release dates are announced. I'm going to try to keep on top of reviews a lot better than I did this summer, which should be helped by those reviews being promised to other publications as well, but at the very least I'll do catch-ups. But here are the top 5 films I absolutely cannot wait for, in order of release.

HONORABLE MENTION. Across the Universe (starring Jim Sturgess, Evan Rachel Wood, and Joe Anderson; dir. Julie Taymor)
I'm gonna be honest - I haven't heard one good thing about this, and besides a cool trailer (note: X-Men 3 had a great trailer) and good faith with Taymor, there's absolutely nothing that would lead me to believe this is any good. But those two things go a long way for me, especially that trailer, which gives me chills every time I see it. Either way, we'll find out on September 21.

5. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (starring Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck; dir. Andrew Dominik)
First, big props to Warner Brothers for keeping the long title. It's an easy one to shorten, but not nearly as cool or evocative as it is like this. Second, EVERYTHING leads me to believe this will be a masterpiece. Early word from reviewers I trust, that new trailer, and just the idea of Pitt and Affleck playing off each other for nearly three hours. I'm telling you right now, I knew Casey Affleck had big things ahead of him four years ago when I saw Gerry, and between this, his standout performance in Ocean's 13, and the upcoming Gone, Baby, Gone, it looks like the day has finally come. September 21

4. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (starring Ethan Hawke, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Marisa Tomei, and Albert Finney; dir. Sidney Lumet)
This is one that's got me all excited on pedigree alone. Hawke and Hoffman play two brothers who are strapped for cash, and decide to rob a mom and pop store. Only it's run by their mom and pop (there's a trailer out, but it's more of a promo reel and my best guess is it gives away the first two acts of the film). I haven't seen anything Sidney Lumet's done since the 70s, but in the 70s he directed Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, and Network, never mind directing 12 Angry Men back in '57. Four classics. And the thought of him working with these four actors, especially Hawke and Hoffman, gets me all kinds of giddy. October 26

3. No Country for Old Men (starring Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones, and Woody Harrelson; dir. Joel and Ethan Coen)
If this trailer does nothing for you...you're probably not a guy. The Coen Brothers have one of the best track records in the industry for as long as it is, and for my money created at least four classics with Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, Fargo, and The Big Lebowski, among other nearly-perfect works (O Brother Where Art Thou?, The Man Who Wasn't There). They hit a rough patch over the last few years with Intolerable Cruelty (which I enjoy, but will readily admit is not up to snuff) and The Ladykillers, but this really looks like their big comeback. November 9 (wide release on over the following two weeks)

2. Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (starring Dustin Hoffman, Natalie Portman, and Jason Bateman; dir. Zach Helm)
How great is that title? Seriously, I just realized that (Across the Universe aside) all of these films have fantastic titles. Zach Helm impressed me last year with his script for Stranger Than Fiction, so I'm interested to see what he has in store as a director, especially with three actors I love. And I love feel-good holiday films, I really do. November 16

1. There Will Be Blood (starring Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano; dir. Paul Thomas Anderson)
Even if this were an ranked list, this would still be at number one. It scares me if I think about it for too long. P.T. Anderson hasn't made a film in five years, but before that he made Punch-Drunk Love, and before that he made Magnolia, which is a masterpiece and for my money one of the ten best films ever made (I said it). I can't wait to see what he does with his first adaptation, never mind with Daniel Day-Lewis, one of the finest working actors. December 26

1 Comments:

At 8/28/2007 10:03 PM, Blogger b said...

mr. magorium will blow chunks.

otherwise thanks for the headsups. which in plural should be headsupi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home