Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Whooooooo!

Done with work. Thank God. This last...week and a half of work blew so hard...well, it almost knocked me over. I guess. And these next four days are jam-packed with so much insanity and triumph (including finally, FINALLY! seeing Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, all that Kubricky goodness, more Halo 2 than, hopefully, ever before, and perhaps most exciting of all...picking out a pair of back-up glasses...I want to get something kinda ridiculous).

There's a new indie comedy about high school coming out this weekend that I will not be seeing this weekend (too much glory), but will be seeing next week if anyone else wants to come. It's called Rocket Science. And even though this increasing trend of quirky, indie movies about teenagers that are all ripping off the vastly-superior Rushmore kind of annoys me, I can't deny that I enjoy the ones I see (see: Thumbsucker, Igby Goes Down, and, yes, Napoleon Dynamite...it's WAY overquoted and I can't actually watch it anymore, but I laughed my head off the two times I saw it in theaters).

I smell an essay about Wes Anderson coming on...I just realized sitting here proofreading that paragraph that I have way too much to say about that guy. Yeah, I'm gonna write that right now. I should probably have an English Muffin first...

So here's something. Remember Bowling for Soup? Y'know, they were like a band and stuff. Still are I guess (where else could those guys go?). They were probably most famous when somebody decided to make them famous (if only for a week) and gave them this theme song (and how telling that it's impossible to find the real music video for it, which was also awful). Anyway, they were a pretty big for that week or so there, insofar as everyone knew who they were. Where are they now? I'll tell you. I will give them props for the shameless pimping of their product, but will deduct props for the longest, most pointless description of their show ever.

Yeah, you didn't expect to have to consider Bowling for Soup when you got into this post, did you? I really don't hate them (really, what's to hate?), I just thought it was hilarious when I was driving by the Hawthorne Theatre to see their name amongst acts that, really, nobody anywhere has ever heard of, and in fact are kinda freaky (I can't remember the names exactly, but I'd say at least one out of the three or so bands that are listed there are any given time just makes me wonder what the hell they're made of).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home