Saturday, December 15, 2007

Finals!

I thought I was a lot closer to being done, then I got this e-mail from my Communities and Race Relations teacher with our take-home final on it. There are three essay questions, but seriously, I cannot imagine a world in which the first one is even near possible.

QUESTION ONE: The World According to Americans
NEW INFORMATION: “The World According to Americans”

THINK: How is the "McDonaldization" of the world affecting (even Effecting) America’s national identity and the identities of the smaller groups that help to constitute America's rich cultural heritage. How does it impact Americans' ideas of themselves, America's idea of itself (if there is ONE) and how does it impact the international perception of America (if there is ONE)? What happens when CERTAIN values, tastes and practices are "exported to every corner of the globe," creating a "homogenized international culture [--] a 'McWorld'.” Consider, especially, that fast food companies have "targeted their advertising and promotion at a group of consumers with the fewest attachments to tradition: young children" (Schlosser, 231).

THINK MORE: How does the world of images seep into our individual and communal consciousness and to what end? What does it mean for Nike, Shell, Wal-Mart, Microsoft and McDonald's to become, as Naomi Klein says, the "planet’s best and biggest popular education tools?" (441).

YOUR TASK: In 500-750 words synthesize information from Fast Food Nation and from No Logo. Then, through this composite "lens," analyze ”The World According to Americans,” MAKING SURE to reference these texts. You may reference items beyond these two texts, but you MUST use these significantly. Somewhere in the essay, discuss how this view could possibly impact your intended career path or plans to make a living (if you are independently wealthy or financially supported forever by someone else, pretend you have to work).

Just to summarize...that's like seven questions in there to pack into, at most, a 750-word essay. And these are BIG QUESTIONS, man. Never mind the space it'll take to quote or paraphrase. I mean, this is one of those grade-proof tests that so long as you reference the material, you'll pass, but it's not really the grade I'm worried about (I never am, and I don't get why so many people are). Every single one of these questions she asked could reasonably be its own essay. It's not that I think this is excessively hard stuff; I like when teachers ask you to go beyond the text, but Jesus...750 words? Really? And that's just question 1...screw this, man.

Going back over this, I'm guessing these are just suggested topics, not all of which we'll cover, but that's not made very clear.

Also not helping...barely read the second book. I read like two chapters of the ten or so assigned.

Oh well...in like two and a half hours I'm off to Fuddruckers (yeah, they have 'em out here! awesome!) and I Am Legend (in IMAX!), and all of this will be out of my head.

2 Comments:

At 12/16/2007 1:17 AM, Blogger imac said...

Were you as unimpressed by I Am Legend as I was?

 
At 12/16/2007 12:41 PM, Blogger Scott Nye said...

Oh, completely. Maybe if it had like another forty-five minutes...and a different ending...and didn't have retarded CGI vampires...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home