Wednesday, March 08, 2006

New suit

Here's another thing I love about Portland - used clothing is everywhere. There's this massive business of people buying other people's clothes that you can have a Red Light across the street from Buffalo Exchange. So I popped on into Red Light yesterday (downtown location) after striking out at a Goodwill and the Exchange, and found a really killer three-piece brown suit. I'll get pictures if I can (a little dicey as I am, as always, without a digital camera).

FINALLY getting to the Spaghetti Factory tonight, after not being able to go over Christmas break, and I think the last time I went before that was at graduation, but I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time). Although I'm spoiled in Boston with Maggiano's, the best Italian food around (and damn cheap too), ya gotta love going back to the roots.

Watched Hitchcock's Rope last night, which kicked all kinds of Hitchcockian ass. Highly recommended (but see Rear Window before anything...that movie's just amazing).

Katie, my beef with the Crash dialogue had more to do with the fact that all they talked about for two hours was race. I can tolerate that coming from one character or one set of characters, but when that's all ANY of the characters talk about, it gets old, fast. That, and some of the stuff they were saying just doesn't sound like things I've ever heard anyone say (Don Cheadle's opening dialogue prime among them). And yeah, there were emotionally-driven parts, but I didn't buy that the Iranian would try to shoot the locksmith to begin with (again, we have no idea what their names are), or that suddenly everything would be okay following that (he's a two-dimensional character with only two traits - completely pissed off or totally zen). And Matt Dillon rescuing the lady from the car is another one of those instances when the coincidence is just too big. Plus, any situation of life and death in the context of a realistic drama is automatically emotionally charged, and pretty easy writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home