Thursday, March 12, 2009

UPDATE

I'm on a bus coming back from New York. A bus with wifi, and if that isn't wild enough, wifi that's actually faster than it was at the hotel I stayed at. And I didn't stay at some trashy hotel, I stayed at the Grand Frickin' Hyatt in Midtown. Gnaw on that. Anyway, Julie's next to me with a bad case of carsick (bussick?), but I lent her the iPod, which put her to sleep pretty fast, which is nice because she won't feel the nauseous, but kind of a downer for me because I can't get my headphones back without waking her. Good news for you, dear reader, you get an update.



That's been stuck in my head all day.

So New York's pretty rad (yeah, that's right - rad). We looked at a few neighborhoods, but I gotta say, the Upper East Side feels like a place I could call home. It's a lot like what it felt like to be on Hawthorne (in Portland) before the hipsters moved in - lotta locally owned restaurants and shops, stuff like that. Good vibe, y'know?

The Upper West Side is also cool, but more expensive, restaurant-wise. But it is really close to the Lincoln Center, which for Julie means New York Ballet and for me means some rockin' stuff at the Film Society (earlier this year they had a David Fincher tribute with Fincher there himself).

Amazon's having a big Blu-Ray sale (damn! Youth Without Youth is still too expensive). Amongst their offerings? Bikini Destination - Triple Fantasy. I guess there are worse reasons to go hi-def.

We also hit the Museum of Modern Art (culture, yo), which was just flat-out awesome. Saw some Warhol. Saw some Monet (there was one of those lily pad paintings that was like twenty feet wide...could've stared at it all day, I swear). Saw some work by this dude from the 70s or something that was incredible in its breadth, even if he did feel a strange compulsion to cover way too many things in oats (culture, yo).

Big day on Tuesday. Every semester I take a day off from school, work, everything and sit alone at my apartment - I try to work it into a day when the roomies will largely be gone - and just watch movies. Mostly ones I have seen before and own. This has quickly become a day that absolutely must happen, a nearly holy day. And this semester being what it's been, it's also left me with an overwhelming number of movies I want to watch. I'm giddy.

I cannot say the extent to which The '59 Sound is one of the best things that's ever happened to me, certainly in terms of music. Listening to it now is what it felt like when I first discovered Springsteen, Meat Loaf, Joni Mitchell, Billy Joel, Tom Petty, The Counting Crows. Bands that matter to me, really matter. It feels like when I rediscoverd The Beach Boys. It's big, in short.

Well, that's all I got. I'm gonna try to be better about updating, especially since seeing ya'll will be spotty at best for awhile. But I do miss you all a whole lot.

Oh, I almost forgot. I had a dream last night that Obama was debating some stodgy white dude - not McCain; younger, and much less interesting - and audience members were talking about how the economy is hurting them and all that. So one guy was talking to Obama and he said, "Hi, my family and I lost our house recently and we were wondering how you plan to deal with this fiscal crisis." And Obama's just like "yes, we know you and many Americans are hurting, so in response to that, we got everyone here a PUPPY!" And all these puppies ran from all corners of the room and everyone played with them and danced to motown.

Apparently, I now dream in rejected SNL sketches.

1 Comments:

At 3/29/2009 9:15 PM, Blogger b said...

so i laughed out loud when i read the puppies thing.

i am against the idea of buses with internet cuz one of the quintessentially american coming-of-age things is long stares out of bus windows, but if it gets me scott posts, the can put the internet in the john or movie theaters or funeral homes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home