Friday, October 19, 2007

And Hope That My Dreams Will Come True

Ten days without a post? TEN DAYS? What've I got to show for it? Nothing. Nothing!

Today was a really good day for me. There are some days when, y'know, whatever, you spend most of it just trying to get through. And coming off 5 hours of sleep and into 6 hours of class and 10 hours of campus, I was a little wary going into today (plus I forgot my Viso!). But, somehow, I tricked my Creative Writing class into thinking I can string together a series of words into sentences and sentences into mildly-compelling literature. No, really, we workshopped (Blogger says that's two words...that's bull) my short story today, and it really took. So that was a good booster. Then in Magazine Writing, I actually had some progress to show for a story I was pretty sure would equal my total failure in the course. Race Relations...still a pretty useless class, but I did bother to send the Prof an e-mail with my indignation at the idea that Americans should know where obscure Asian countries are on maps.

Seriously though, can you think of a more fundamentally useless skill? And yet, every year or so, there'll be some retard on the news going on about how Americans can't find Iraq on a map. In what situation could that information possibly come in handy? And how does knowing where a country is have jack to do with our foreign policy? I guess you have to worry about neighboring countries and all, but you still wouldn't have to find it on a map to know that. And really, of all the ways in which the American education system is failing, that's probably the least of our concerns.

Whew, okay. Becoming Zen with it nnnnnnnnnnnow.

Very little progress has been made in the Pop Playlist. I blame all of you.

So the new widescreen TV came on Wednesday. Broke it in with scenes from Lost in Translation, Rushmore, 300, Dazed and Confused, Armageddon, Casablanca, Wild Strawberries, concluding with the opening of Punch-Drunk Love. Then today I watched Network all the way through (God damn that's a great movie...somehow you manage to forget), followed by the opening of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. And tomorrow I'm gonna wake up and put on The New World. It's pretty much been cinematic ecstasy (well, that'll really come whenever I put on Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which is sitting to my right at the moment, waiting to be played). It didn't take long, but in the last 24+ hours, any doubts I had about spending that money were totally erased. Especially with the new venture in the works...I'm not gonna blow my load on that right now, but you'll hear a LOT about it when it gets going.

I vastly (not vastly, but considerably) prefer The Beatles before Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and when push comes to shove, even before Rubber Soul. Not to say they didn't do good work on that and beyond, but I find "All My Loving" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand" infinitely preferable to "Here Comes the Sun" or anything off Sgt. Pepper's. I'm not trying to be overly contrarian, it's just something I've realized more and more, and I think people's preference as regards The Beatles is a clear line in the sand that says most everything about a person's overall music taste.

Pushing Daisies is only three episodes into its first season and it's already my favorite thing on television. It's an hour-long, weekly fairy tale. The show does an excellent job of catching you up with vital information, so I highly, HIGHLY recommend watching it. You're life will feel a little bit better for it. Wednesdays, 8 PM, ABC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home