Monday, October 23, 2006

Television, Reading, and Skynet

Studio 60 is only getting better, which to some might be an indication that if you wait long enough, you'll catch it when it's just mind-numbingly good and only stick around for the best of the best. And while that's a sound enough philosophy in spite of its total lameness, you'd be missing out on some damn fine entertainment in its own right. And that's your weekly plea.

I really have done so relatively little of this speech reading. So little. And it's not that I'm lazy (that's true), I really don't mind having a lot of work. I mind having a lot of reading. There's no mindset I could ever be in in which I could ever find textbook reading compelling, or ever truly be able to get it done. I can write essays all night (and have), because at least then I can talk back at all the reading required for it, but I can't focus on regular, cut-and-dry reading for more than...I dunno, five minutes if I'm REALLY trying (some doctors could probably diagnose me with ADD, and I could probably score some ritalin). And yet reading for fun has come so easy to me lately. One of the great mysteries of faith I suppose.

I just saw that commercial for that car that parallel parks itself. Never mind the number of hours I watch TV on a weekly, if not nightly, basis, and how this commercial has eluded me until now, but doesn't it seem like there's something fundamentally wrong with that? It's all Skynet man, I'm tellin' ya. I like parallel parking on my own. There's a sense of accomplishment, and showing off the spots you've gotten into, and proving everyone wrong when they say you can't fit into a spot. I even listed that as one of my skills in my Expository Writing class two semesters back. And now some machine seeks to steal it from me. Bah!

P.S. My speech book put "mulching the garden" on a list of mundane activities one might be engaged in. Keeping in mind this is a book written specifically for college kids.

1 Comments:

At 10/24/2006 12:46 PM, Blogger imac said...

I feel the same way about assigned reading. I find that even books I enjoy are boring when I'm reading for class.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home