Friday, November 03, 2006

There's Good. There's Great.

And then there's how immensely satisfied I am right now. You ever walk out of a meal that just pushed your buttons in every right way possible, and left you so full you could throw up, but you don't so it's kind of a good feeling, and you feel like a solid mass that nothing can shake? That's about how I feel.

I spent most of the day running errands for a film shoot I'm not even a part of, because my buddy asked me along and I figured it'd take a half hour, maybe an hour. It took four. So I didn't get back 'til after 8. I missed Scrubs. Tickets were definitely gonna be sold out for Borat (only in Boston would I be certain the 10:50 showing being sold out at 8). I missed dinner at the dining hall. My options, traditionally, in such a case are Burger King or Spike's (which is a late-night burger/hot dog joint that's actually pretty damn good), but I was in no mood for a burger. I needed something...satisfying.

So I walked over to Uno Chicago Grill for a steak. Not the best joint in town, but pretty f-ing good. And as far as steak go, it's one of the less expensive places. But their wait was 45 minutes. So I said "screw that," and walked down to American Joe's, which I can't believe I didn't think of in the first place because as far as upscale burgers and middle-scale steaks go, you could not possibly do better. They also have the best bread you'll ever have in your entire life.

So I walk in, and I'm like "how long for a table for 1?"

The manager was there up front, and replied with, and this is I swear to God a quote..."About 30 minutes, but I have one seat at the bar, it's full menu and non-smoking, and you can look at Lisa and talk to Jake." But he said "look at Lisa" in that sort of "nudge-nudge, wink-wink," sort of way that was just fantastic. Plus, I love being offered a seat at the bar (as much as I can't wait to turn 21 and actually be able to go into bars without fear, nothing beats the feeling of being offered the bar when you're underage).

The rest...well, the service was mind-blowing great. I mean, I've never sat at the bar, so maybe that's just how they roll, but seriously...the check was $26.50 and I tipped $7 without regret...I thought of kicking it to $8, but didn't quite go for it. And the steak was hardly one of the best I've ever had, but the experience as a whole, food certainly included, was definitely in the Top 5 Most Satisfying Dinner Experiences Ever.

Now I'm just gonna lay here and attempt to digest it.

1 Comments:

At 11/03/2006 11:39 PM, Blogger Cynda said...

mmm...theres nothing better than digesting with friends!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home