Friday, May 18, 2007

You're Welcome, Environment

So I had this great idea a few weeks back to ride my bike more. I'd always kinda wanted to and now I gotta pay for (some of) my gas, so I was like "well, there are definitely places I can ride the bike to." One of those places is the video store, located at 4320 SE Belmont.

Here's a map of my house in relation to the store.
You'll need it for reference. [EDIT: Okay, apparently that link worked...not at all...but the shortest way there is like 3 miles...I did not take the shortest distance there].

Problem is, 39th has NO bike lane at all, and fairly narrow lanes for cars, so I wasn't too cozy on taking the easy way. Plus there's a massive hill right before Division. So I decide to swoop down to 28th, down Holgate, down 26th, which leads right through Powell to Division, where I could cut up to 39th or just weave through the neighborhoods until I hit Belmont. Pretty solid plan, only a slight incline, and let's face it, I could use the exercise.

So after work today I was feeling pretty alive and awake, running on 4 hours sleep (which gets you through a work day at Nordstrom better than you'd think), and the day had just flown by. So I said to myself, "today's the day!", threw on one of my new, comfy, very breathable shirts, pulled the bike out of the garage (which took some doing), filled up the tires, and was on my way.

I hit 26th and Powell and for some reason there were a ton of cops. I gave the officer across the street a questioning look, and he just pointed up Powell, then down Powell, apparently mouthing "you can go up there, or down there." I wondered what could possibly be keeping me from my route. It turned out to be this. Now, I don't know all my limits, but I know some of them. One of them is that the road from 26th to 39th on Powell is too steep for me. So I went down to 21st and cut across.

Look, I may not be in the best of health, but I was fairly certain I could handle the ride from there. I was so very, very wrong. The ride back was considerably easier as it's largely downhill, but man...I was thoroughly unprepared for that. Then I got back and my shirt is drenching with sweat, so I'm like "I'll throw it in the wash!" Look at the label - "100% Silk." Flip it over - "Hand wash cold separately. Only non-chlorine bleach when needed. Line dry. Cool iron or dry clean." First, cheapest damn silk shirt I've ever seen...I think it was like $30. Second...damn.

In the future everything should be machine washable. Shoes included. Now I need a shower and to watch The Fugitive (one of the movies I rented...no, I've never seen it, but I totally expect it to be worth the effort it took to get it here).

Is my mom cooking dinner tonight? Voice mail...she's at the club (the work out center, not like...my mom didn't go clubbing after work)...she's not cooking. Damn. Anyone wanna go get dinner? Nah. It's definitely a take-out night. I hope to Christ Pastini does take-out...their website is pastini.biz...is .biz new?...oh thank Christ they do take-out...I'm totally getting extra bread too...they have the best bread I've ever had in my life there...maybe not, but I could eat it forever...order's placed, 10 or 15 minutes...no time for shower...also I'll be driving there, and...well, I guess I'm saving a little gas having rode to the video store, but really not enough to justify all that.

God damn it.

EDIT: Maggie, I still say I could take you in a race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home