Tuesday, October 23, 2007

My Life in Anamorphic Widescreen: Prologue

Oh...I am pumped. Loyal readers may remember this extravagance, in which I went on and on about how I'll be needing a job to offset the monumental costs that would be put to me come October 23rd. Well, things have changed since then. I do not have a job, and have almost no hope of getting one in the next month or so. And I'll be buying yet another DVD tomorrow. Let's take a look at just how great tomorrow is.

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2007.















That's six classics, plus Eyes Wide Shut (and man, do I love Eyes Wide Shut). None of which, until tomorrow, have received proper DVD treatment (great transfer, special features, etc.). And actually, even after tomorrow, Barry Lyndon still won't have.

The rest of this week will be almost entirely built of reactions and recollections (including a piece on why Barry Lyndon deserves a proper release more than just about every film on this list) as I move through the biggest DVD day of the year, and so far of my life. If you at all enjoy reading me write about movies, this will be a very good time to read. If you don't, this week will bore you more than if I'd never posted at all

Largely, this will be me trying to write DVD reviews for the first time. It won't be quite the professional pieces I'll do for the upcoming venture (I have to plug this as much as possible; it really will be quite cool), but it's something I want to try my hand at and this will be maybe my only opportunity to try a whole new way of writing about DVDs.

But these are all films that mean a LOT to me (except for Breathless, which I've yet to see), and aside from the quick write-ups I did when the NW Film Center did its Kubrick Retrospective, I've never had the chance to really write about them. So beyond the pure, Christmas-esque joy I feel in anticipation of cracking those cases open for the first time, I'm excited as all hell to be forced to finally sit down and write about how the first time I saw A Clockwork Orange changed my life. Among other things.

So that's your introduction. By the time most of you read this, there'll almost certainly be many, many other thoughts clogging the blog, but I'll try to keep it as organized as possible.

1 Comments:

At 10/23/2007 6:09 PM, Blogger Cynda said...

hmm..changed your life huh? I may actually be convinced to see A Clockwork Orange I'll just have to wait and read your review before I'm sold.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home