Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Best...Day...Ever!

Work was work...it gets me completely stressed out while I'm at it, as I'm currently managing the stockrooms of three overlapping departments, all with very different needs and rightfully wanting those needs fulfilled right away, and I am but one man. But as soon as I leave work man, I don't give it another thought. Never once bothers me outside of those 8.5 hours five days a week. But at like 2:30 yesterday, a time I didn't think I'd be around for 'cause I thought I'd skip out a little early but got caught up in some stuff...anyway, at 2:30, the woman who manages the department I focus most of my time on because I like it the best, Brandi, tells me that starting in July, I'll be working solely in her department, and someone else will cover the others. It's the best possible news ever, because not only does that make my job...what's the word, POSSIBLE, but her department's the only one I wanted anyway...the others were a package deal

And then...Superman Returns...it's not perfect, but it's so close and there are so many moments that ARE perfect that I really did love it. I'm not sure where I'll come down on it in the end, because the first time I see a movie like this so much of it is disecting it and comparing it to what I expected and what I wanted to see and a thousand other things. I didn't really care a whole lot for Batman Begins the first time I saw it, but really figured it out the second time around. So I guess the fact that I already love Superman Returns is a pretty damn good sign. Brandon Routh as Superman IS perfect. Anyway, I'll get more into this in the review, which will be...sprawling. I'm gonna have to figure it out, and part of my full thoughts on it (which is a lot of how I think it's a real evolution of the superhero genre of film) will probably be posted here, just to spare people who only want to hear about the damn movie.

Oh, and talk-radio host Rick Emerson, host of the Rick Emerson Show that I've listened to for almost five years now, was sitting literally the seat right in front of me at the movie. Which was infinitely cool, introduced myself, geeked out a little, then ended up running into him in the bathroom, which is weird. But anyway...between nabbing that first in line spot (albeit way too early), seeing Superman, and meeting Rick...damn good day.

About the line...Cinetopia is the greatest theater ever. Not only do they feature digital projection, extra-wide leather seats, an extra foot of leg room, delicious pizza...et cetera. But their staff kicks ass. If you ever find yourself in line and a girl with short hair named Chelsea is staffing it, you will be cared for and made to feel welcome. For instance, they gave us pillows from one of their Living Room Theaters (that I'm dying to get into, but can't until I'm 21) to sit on, as well as free sodas when we first showed up. How cool? What other theater appreciates you as you do them? It's a long(ish) drive (if there's no traffic, you really can make it in 20-30 minutes), but I URGE you to get out there someday, especially for Superman, which was shot on digital and thus can only really be seen in all its glory in digital projection.

Oh, and I gotta say this...the Spider-Man 3 trailer is fucking amazing. Really. It is. I was horrified that it would end up too crowded (three villains appear in the trailer...Venom, Sandman, and a new Green Goblin, as well as the addition of Gwen Stacy and a rumored fourth villain), but I really, strongly feel they're going the right direction with this. Like this is THE way to go with the series and...it's a YEAR away! Damn! I love the first two flicks, especially the second one (which is battling in my head with Superman Returns for best superhero flick ever), and...a year away! DAMN!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home